Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sweet Potato Gnocchi

I usually write about jewelry making and beading projects I am working on, but I want to branch out and share other parts of my life.  I love to create, and not just jewelry, but to sew, craft, garden, and cook.  My husband enjoys cooking too, and I'm blessed that this is an activity we have fun doing together.  I am gluten free, so it can be challenging to find healthy, clean meals that we both enjoy.

Impulsively, I bought one of the cookbooks in the grocery store checkout aisle- a Betty Crocker/Pillsbury publication of easy, gluten free cooking.  As soon as I saw a GF lasagna recipe made with zucchini and squash instead of noodles I was hooked.

I was so excited to try the recipes and picked GF sweet potato gnocchi to try first.  We are really enjoying sweet potatoes this season!

The prep was easy.  After baking the potatoes, I scooped out the inside and added a few ingredients like rice flour, cinnamon, and lemon juice.  I stirred it all up and then scooped out a handful at a time.
On a pile of rice flour, I rolled out the mixture and cut the snake into pieces and put them on a baking sheet.  I even made the cute little tine marks on the top so they looked professional!
After I got through the whole bowl, the trays went into the freezer for half an hour.  Next, they sauteed quickly in some oil which created a great crisp on the outside.  The recipe made 4 servings and we didn't need that much food, so I put half the gnocchi into a freezer bag- without cooking them- and they will be ready for a night when we need a quick dinner.  It did take a while to make all these, but since we got 2 meals out of the work, it was worthwhile.  I like that the prep can be done whenever you have some time because the gnocchi has to freeze for at least 30 minutes before cooking.  Next time I prepare this, I want to double the recipe so we get even more meals from it.

Served with a side of sauteed spinach and roasted chicken breast= delicious!  There was more spinach on this plate then it looks, don't worry its a balanced meal!  The white powdery stuff on the gnocchi is the Parmesan cheese my hubby put on his.  I didn't add any cheese (the gnocchi has cinnamon in it- cheese & cinnamon??  Weird.) but I did put BBQ sauce on the chicken.  Yum.  I love this new way to use a popular fall vegetable.  Do you like sweet potatoes?  How do you like to prepare them?  Do you have a favorite recipe?

P.S. Are you wondering why I have a picture of my husband's dinner plate?  Because he takes pictures of all his meals.  For his blog.  Check it out, he is on quite a journey that is awesome to witness!

No comments:

Post a Comment